Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Letter B

Although I don't find my letter B design complex or beautiful, I enjoyed the small side project the first year class did altogether. We were challenged to "construct with a pencil the upper case letter "B" in a serif font". The presentation was fascinating because with a simple prompt, every students' letter B was different or at the least constructed differently. I think this challenge encouraged us to investigate further into the history of fonts as well as graphic design. We were asked whether the alphabet was a "graphic element" or "a tool for communication". This approach brought up interesting discussions among students and faculties. For example, am I using the font the way it was intended by the designer or am I combining it with my own style; and how do I find form through structure. The construct of all our letters were intrigueing. Many of them revealed its construction through its drafting lines, almost like revealing its history which made our letters much more beautiful, I thought. Kathryn discussed the beauty of the curves in the letter B; however, I had decided to avoid it completely and focus on the rigid and repetitiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment