Wednesday, May 15, 2013

First Year Competition







I am disappointed that I did not consider the element of compression amidst the plethora of tension exhibited in my model. I fell in love with the tiny slits I cut in the piece of Bristol and its reaction to the curves in the paper. I was also interested in tensions so I decided to create the curves through the tension. I faced a lot of difficulty in keeping the tensiles taut. Once mastered one side, the other side changed the dynamic of the first side if the string was pulled slighty too much. The model was overall unforgiving. Tieing of the string at the end was another challenge I faced. I tried different things such as knotting, using a different tensile, burning, a stopper, and glue. I think if I had had more than a week, I definitely could have figured out how to beautifully bring the three elements together. Moreover, I had a wonderful time working on the first year competition. I was clearly challenged and enjoyed working on it and learning from my mistakes. Also because it was a project, all the first years participated in, it was interesting to see everyone's work as well as discuss ideas and their design process with my colleagues.

*I apologize for the low quality photographs. I only had pictures of my model from my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment