Sunday, May 5, 2013

Architectural Folly: Influence by Fay Jones


My architectural folly's purpose is to create movement in a static object. I wanted you to be able to go anywhere in the whole structure. The direction that you would move in is influenced by the varying heights and placement of the different frames. Space is also important in the structure, the center being one of the most important spaces. 



The space in the center is important because it is not only the area for the light source, but is also able to be occupied by the people moving through the structure. It gives the people a sort of "inside" to go to in the structure and creates a purpose for movement. I realized it needed something more. The structure as a whole wasn't dense enough, looked to fragile and could've become more elaborate. 





I started looking at Fay Jones's work and I was really interested in how he created density in his Thorncrown Chapel. Since he used framework and overlapping, I felt it would be helpful for what I was going for with my folly. The use of voids where the overlapping happens in the chapel influenced me to try the idea and that really changed my project and how much more interesting it became. 

No comments:

Post a Comment