Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Rhino Work --- Surface Area Study



     In this project, I had to take a specific volume and double the surface area by either adding to or removing pieces from the volume. I had to create rules for myself as I went through the process of manipulating the volume, and I had to stick to those rules as the volume changed with each step.
     Once the volume was completed, I received a different set of rules from another person within the studio. The next step was to manipulate the original volume as per these rules I received  This volume was constructed on Rhino.


     When this first volume was completed on Rhino, I was so intrigued with the program and the manipulations that one can do on it, that I wanted to follow my own rules and construct my own volume on Rhino as well. 



     This surface area study was very interesting to me. It intrigued me how one can remove a small sliver from the volume, or even remove just one face from the volume, and it can alter the surface area drastically. It was also interesting to see how each person in the studio can start off with the same volume, but by creating his own rules for manipulation, the end volumes can be so diverse. On that same note, it was fascinating to discover how two people can take the same set of rules and original volume, but each will interpret the rules differently, resulting in two completely different ending volumes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment