Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Architectural Folly





For this project I created a structure that used entire two-by-fours without having to cut them down in size. The structure was designed to be completely symmetrical, however, the experience changes depending on ones viewing point. Also, I knew that light would greatly effect how the structure looks. That is in the day time the sun illuminates the structure and create an interesting shadow pattern on the inside. At night, my favorite time to view the structure, it is lit up with lights from the inside that are connected at the pointed area of the pyramid. Since I wanted my structure to be visible at night, it was important to incorporate a skin that would allow light to be visible from the outside of the structure. 
As we actually started building this project, I realized that my original simple symmetrical idea, was not so simple to execute. Figuring out how each two-by-four connected, how the skin was to be connected to the pyramid and how the structure was going to be illuminated was incredibly difficult. Specifically, I worked on the lighting team. We discussed a variety of ways to light up the structure. At one point, we even considered a candle-lit ceiling, a completely bizarre idea that if executed would most likely burn down the structure. Nevertheless, we considered a plethora of ideas and concluded on a spotlights illuminating the structure at the two pointed areas of the pyramid. We decided that this would make the structure visible from the outside and create an interesting and completely different experience once one entered the inside. 
I am very amazed at how the structure came together. I enjoy the walkway through the two pyramids and the skin on the inside as well. Although it was a difficult project, I feel that I learned a lot about communication in a group, how a structure comes together, and how lighting affects the experience of a structure. 

Photo By: Christopher Pritchett



No comments:

Post a Comment